A letter found in the Ministry of Education archives shows the thinking behind Kingston School of Art’s move from the town centre to its current position by the banks of the Hogsmill.
The letter, dated 25 February 1936, recommends: “when further extensions to the College are undertaken, the necessary accommodation for the School of Art could be better provided on a separate site.”
The land at Knights Park was earmarked for this purpose and valued at £1200. The move formally and physically split the art school from the Technical College, having shared a building and some administrative functions since formation in 1899. The two would be reunited in 1970, with the foundation of Kingston Polytechnic.