Charles Lewis was the Head of Sculpture at Kingston School of Art in the immediate post-war period, and a crucial figure in building its reputation at this time. With the able assistance of (amongst others) Andy Tittensor, Douglas Wain-Hobson and later John Robson, he was instrumental in the development of many sculptors emerging from Kingston at this time.
Our immense gratitude to Charles’s daughter Madeleine, who has supplied the marvellous images below from her father’s collection of glass plates and photographs. These pictures date from either the late 1940s or the early 1950s. Madeleine was also a Kingston art student, in the painting group, later on in the 1960s.
Back row: John Robson (as a student), Andy Tittensor, Charles Lewis, Douglas Wain-Hobson, unknown student
Front row: as yet unidentified students…
Andy Tittensor speaks with student Sally Arnup, c.1948?
Andy Tittensor inspects a sculpture
Charles Lewis with Christine Hall (nee Southwell)
By the Hogsmill
Student sculpting in south-facing studios