Architectural Tools 1962
Things you needed to commence architectural training in 1962
Kingston College of Art Architecture graduate Stephen Finch has provided a photograph and list of the ‘tools of the trade’ required to be an Architecture student when he began his studies at Knights Park in 1962. All items original:
- Double elephant composition drawing board. (Stand supplied by KSA)
- Ebony/ Mahoghany T Square.
- Stabiloid adjustable set square.
- Staedtler Mars 780 clutch pencil.
- Swiss pencil pointer.
- Harling London set of geometrical instruments.
- Set of Graphos pens and nibs.
- Hall Harding imperial scale. (Metric change over not until 1968).
- Aristo-Scholar VS slide rule.
- Set of french curves.
- A History of Architecture by Sir Bannister Fletcher. Seventeenth edition.1961.
- Mitchell’s Elementary Building Construction. Twenty-third Edition. 1961.
- Mitchell’s Advanced Building Construction – The Structure.
- Mitchell’s Advanced Building Construction – Components, Services and Finishes.
- Introduction to Structural Mechanics by Trefor J Renolds and Lewis E Kent. Fourth Edition. 1961.
- Applied Lettering by Maurice Ward.
Also but not included in photo:
- Oatmeal Draughtsman Overall/ Coat with waist tie – not included in photo.
- Lockable metal equipment storage box – not included in photo.