Anthony James Carter was a student at Kingston School of Art in the late 1940s and early 1950s, on the Industrial Design course. He came from a family of architects and builders, with ‘Carter Built’ homes popular in and around Esher in the interwar period.
After leaving Kingston, Carter worked for Sandersons during the 1950s, designing their displays for the Ideal Home exhibition and their interior design schemes. He later retrained for the priesthood at Salisbury Theological College, serving as vicar for Chessington, Walton on Thames and Teddington.
The pages seen below, dating from 1947 and 1948, demonstrate the detail and care devoted to historical surveys by students into classical design.
All images: Estate of Anthony James Carter. © Andrew Carter.